Monday, May 23, 2016

Book Review: Heated Match


Heated Match (Coded for Love #1)
by Lynne Silver
Published: June 21, 2010
Published by: Carina Press
Source: Purchased Myself
Links: Goodreads | Amazon | B&N
The Program: an organization of elite soldiers with superior strength, agility, and intellect. These men are willing to put their lives on the line to execute the government’s most dangerous missions.

Journalist Loren Stanton wants nothing more than to break a big story that will catapult her career. But the only item that’s caught her eye lately is Adam Blacker, a soldier whose rugged sexiness sets her pulse racing. When rumors surface that he’s part of a classified government program, Loren has every excuse she needs to get as close to him as possible, no matter what it takes.



As team leader of a covert ops group, Adam steers clear of all journalists, but there’s no denying the blazing passion Loren stirs in him. A scorching night together convinces him their connection is more than skin-deep, still, he’s not ready to let down his guard—his genetic enhancements make him an exceptional soldier, but what woman would want to commit to his high-risk life?

When a dangerous enemy from Adam’s past resurfaces and Loren insists on joining the fight rather than running, he’s forced to face a dark truth. This courageous, loyal woman moves him in ways he never imagined possible. And now that Adam knows she has his back, he also knows that he has to win her heart.

Peyton's Thoughts:

This book was not at all what I thought it was going to be. When I read the synopsis for it, I thought I had a picture in my head of how the book was going to play out. That picture in my head turned out to be completely wrong.

Adam is 100% complete Alpha Male. Literally - DNA enhanced to be that way. He is the leader of his team and trained to be alert, level headed, faster, smarter and overall better than the average human wearing a uniform. I guess DNA cannot change the fact that somewhere, there is a woman who can bring even the most enhanced of us to our knees, completely mess with our senses and throw us totally off of our game.

Loren is a journalist - and come to find out - a sister of one of Adams friends. All things aside - she is thrown for a loop when the attraction to Adam just about burst at the seems. She's never felt this way towards anyone.. To her, it almost seems as though there is a force in the universe literally forcing the two of them together. When she is offered something she has wanted her entire career, how could she possibly say no? Even though that puts her RIGHT in the path - and same living space, as the man she is so strongly trying to avoid.

Since Adam and his team are DNA mutated to be the way they are, they also happen to be able to reproduce with "genetic matches," that the higher up people think will help create the perfect children. Imagine his surprise when he learns that Loren is his genetic match. While neither of them is thrilled at the idea.. okay, maybe he his more thrilled than she is - they get put in a room together for 24 hours with the highest of hopes that they hit it off well enough to actually get some reproducing done.

This story had some great action, a well thought out story line and everything seemed to have flowed together very well. I was slightly disappointed in the scenes of Adam and Loren being together. I felt like that were kind of like "oh, kiss - kiss - sex - the end." Not that I need complete graphic details, but more than what was given. In a way, it kind of felt like those scenes were thrown together quickly. I know it isn't every single person's cup of tea to have those kind of scenes, but it just seemed like it would have meshed so well with this book! The only other thing that disappointed me was that I didn't really grasp the entire idea of the DNA mutation. I think I needed just a little more insight to it, how it worked, how the genetic matches worked and all the ins and outs of it. With my husband being Military, I got most of the story line and back stories, but that just kind of hand me confused every time it was brought up.

Aside from the slight set backs, the secondary characters of this novel were written exceptionally well. Like, out of this park kind of well. Xander and Chase will forever remain in my mind until I read their stories. PLEASE LET THEM HAVE STORIES! I thought the banter between everyone and the flow of each person character in their interactions was amazingly written. For this being the first novel I have read by this author, I think Silver hit Heated Match right out of the park. I look forward to reading more from her! I normally am okay with moving on from some books that I read. I am having slight issues with letting these characters go. That, to me, is the sign of a great author!


What did you think of the Heated Match Review?
Have you read any Lynn Silver novels?
Did you add this to your TBR list?
I'd love to hear your thoughts & thanks for stopping by!

0 comments:

Post a Comment